Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Planning for next year already

I start thinking about what I am going to do next year about this time every year.  Maybe it is the realizations of what did and did not work this year and how I want to fix it for the future or maybe it is my desire to make the students who have "checked out" come in and be fabulous artist one last time.  I am not sure why.  Maybe it is the anticipation of all the great things my young artists can accomplish next year. 
I do know that there is a lot to do for next year.  There have been so many changes with the standards and curriculum that I have plenty to get ready for, but I think after 4 or 5 years of doing the same things it is time for a change.  Fourth and fifth grade students are going to keep portfolios-which I have never done before.  The sketchbook idea I tried to do this year was not very successful, so I am modifying it.  There just never seemed to be enough time for the kids to do the sketchbook assignment. 
I am also making myself incorporate more critiques and understanding of terms before moving on.  I think with some lessons, at the beginning of the year, I was better about but as the year wore on I became so product driven that I forgot that students don't always have to walk out with a 9x12 drawing or painting.  I forget that students have to learn to talk about art not just draw it.  So I am including one picture today of my ambitious hot pink binder with (I like to think) a bunch of successful thoughts and ideas for 2012-2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment